COVID-19: Are We Panic Buying? Enhanced Community Quarantine


It has been one week since we went to the groceries, okay, let me take that back, it has been one week since my husband went to the groceries. He bought only a few because we don't want things to be spoiled and as a family of two, our grocery bills only run between PHP 1500 to 2000 which is usually good for a week.

Today's the 28th of March and its been 8 days since the grocery visit so it is understandable that we have already run out of the supplies. We got no more meat, no more fruits, no more vegetables, in fact, yesterday, we ate canned corned beef which we had never eaten for more than a year at least. Yes, we are not fans of canned goods nor frozen foods but due to the worsening case of COVID-19 and our city has imposed enhanced community quarantine starting today as well, my husband and I decided that we must store up items that we can keep and eat for the next two to four weeks at least since that's the duration of the quarantine.

As mentioned in my previous blog, the enhanced quarantine would mean only one person per household is allowed to go out and is only allowed to go out to secure food or medicines or any emergencies required. Being pregnant at 22 weeks, my husband doesn't want to be going out every now and then for food. And as much as possible, we must stay at home to keep me and my baby safe and protected from the virus.

Last night, we had our weekly Bible study with some of our friends and church mates who also have young kids on their own. One of them is a doctor who is working at a public hospital in the city and she had advised me to stay at home as pregnant women are at high risk of being infected. I totally understand this and so as much as possible, I want both my husband and me to be staying at home for now until the curve flattens.

However, it is really a need for him to go for groceries. So early today at 8:30 in the morning, he went out to Rustans Banawa, it is a grocery store near to us. He had been attempting to go for groceries for the past two days but due to the long line and people are panicking in buying their own supplies too, he decided to delay this but again, we are really really already out of everything so he has no other choice but to wait in line this morning.


From 8:30 AM, he arrived at the store. There was a long line already as expected. More than an hour after, he messaged me saying he is already near the entrance doors. His phone's battery ran out too so he can't get in touch with me anymore which was a bummer.


At home and alone, I had been thinking about how he's going. I am left with some vegetables and no meat. I wanted to go out and buy something but I feel like betraying my husband if I do so I ended up cooking the rest of the vegetables as a soup (alugbati, malunngay, some red onions, ginger, tomatoes). I waited but still at 12 noon, he has not come home yet. I began to worry.

I ended up eating by myself instead because I am already hungry and my last meal was just instant oats and some chia seeds. I ate and continued messaging him but without responses, so I believe he might still be in the store, perhaps there was a long line. I was really concerned he has only eaten instant oats too in the morning!

At 1:30 in the afternoon, after five hours, I heard his footsteps and the sound of the keys and I recognize he is home. This pandemic had really affected everyone. Our grocery bill today went up very close to PHP 7000. This is the biggest grocery spending we had for just the two of us but we believe that we can now survive the next 2-4 weeks inside our home.

I am thankful to God for the provision and for giving us the capability to buy these many supplies. I pray that He would also provide those who lost their daily income due to the quarantine and the virus. I pray that they would be able to eat well, spend time with their families in their homes and I pray that this virus will soon be eradicated and for a vaccine or medicine to come out soon to cure the infected. I know God is in control and this will pass soon. He is doing it for a greater purpose and although we may not understand yet why we believe and trust in His Sovereign hand, He is always in control. He knows the future and He will deliver.

Comments

Popular Posts