Rights as Employed Pregnant Woman in the Philippines

Being pregnant definitely gives the soon-to-be-mom a mix of feelings. I had been waiting for this season in my life and it is finally here! 

Staring at my pregnancy test kit and seeing the two red lines appear made my heart just stop a bit and what I could only do was scream my lungs out! It was pure joy, I wish I had filmed myself that time!

Anyway, aside from being happy and excited about being pregnant, I had also some sort of fear and doubts most especially in terms of the things to prepare and what I should be aware of while being pregnant.

One of the things that any expecting mom should take into consideration is her rights as a pregnant woman most especially if one is employed, just like with my case. Since I had a miscarriage two years ago, I knew that I have benefits and rights from SSS or Social Security System. I would like to mention these points in this blog together with the other perks.


1. Maternity Leaves

Based on the new Republic Act No. 11210 which is also known and cited as 105- Day Expanded Maternity Leave Law, maternity leaves for every pregnant female workers has been increased to 105 days with an option to extend for an additional 30 days without pay and granting an additional 15 days for solo mothers.

This is regardless of the number of frequency compared to what was issued before as only up to four frequencies.

Also, this new law allows the mother to allocate 7 days to the child's father.

If you want to view the entire copy of the law, you may check this link.

2. SSS Maternity Financial Benefit

Still caused by the  105- Day Expanded Maternity Leave Law, new moms may receive as high as Php 70,000 for their paid maternity leaves.

Here's a good website to check how much will you be receiving as SSS Maternity Benefit, click here.

3. Prohibition on Discrimination Against Pregnant Women in the Workplace

The Magna Carta of Women and the Health Act of 2012 states that pregnancy shall never be a ground for non-hiring or termination from employment. Violation will be punishable by imprisonment or fine.

Also, Republic Act No. 10151 also known as the Night Workers Act prohibits pregnant women from working between 10 PM until 6 AM.

4. Health Care Programs

The Department of Health has an accessible health care program for pregnant women which can be availed at hospitals, medical centers and local government unit throughout the entire provinces and rural health centers.

5. Priority Lanes

Establishments throughout the country including government and private offices offers a priority lane for pregnant women, this is the same lane for the senior citizens and PWDs.

When in supermarkets, stores, restaurants and hotels, if you are pregnant, may it be obvious or not yet, you must exercise your right to be in the priority lane. It is not just an act of being entitled but it is your right to do so.

Comments

Popular Posts