Surprise PAP Smear Test!

I'm 17 weeks and one day today, my fourth OB visit was supposedly last Tuesday but because we went on a vacation to Bohol for a family get together, we decided to delay it until Friday.

I love doctor visits because I get to hear my baby's heart beat, even more giving me the urge to buy a fetal doppler. The only pushback for me was that based on my online research, there were several cases of frustration and even stillbirth due to misuse of a fetal doppler. But really, I want to hear my baby's heart beat every single night specially when I am massaging my belly and talking to him/her. Do you think its good that I buy one?

Anyway, going back to the visit, I was told by my OB, Doctor Honey Cordovez that my weight gain, my blood pressure are all good. The best part of the visit was again, hearing m baby's heart beat. It was at 164 bpm this time, faster than the last monitoring.

But what surprised me was that my OB wanted to do a PAP Smear procedure and I was not informed! She was also surprised because she thought she already told me! Anyway, I was shy but she assured me it is just fine. She had seen a lot and that she's a doctor, I should not worry about anything.

A Pap smear, also called a Pap test, is a procedure to test for cervical cancer in women.
A Pap smear involves collecting cells from your cervix — the lower, narrow end of your uterus that's at the top of your vagina.
Detecting cervical cancer early with a Pap smear gives you a greater chance at a cure. A Pap smear can also detect changes in your cervical cells that suggest cancer may develop in the future. Detecting these abnormal cells early with a Pap smear is your first step in halting the possible development of cervical cancer. - 
mayoclinic
It was not my first time to undergo this test, I also had one back in 2017 when I had my first pregnancy and I had a severe tummy pain which was actually the ectopic pregnancy.

Doc Honey was very good at telling me that she is going to use this device, she even explained to me how to make sure I won't feel any pain and that it should be very fast.

Following her instructions, I didn't feel any pain, just a little discomfort when she said she is already taking some samples. It took just a few seconds and she said she is taking out the device! That was quick and pain free! As for the results, she said there are no specific masses in my cervix which was good.

I appreciate her assuring words and she definitely sounded very professional.

Aside from that, she also read my past medical abstract. Based on the document, the procedure done to me on 2017 didn't include anything that could harm me during labor so I am safe to go into labor and C-section can be avoided unless there will be any other threatening cases in the future.

The visit went well, I was advised to take some more vitamins.

Fees:

Doctor's Visit Fee: Php 300
PAP Smear: Php 1000

Comments

Popular Posts